FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Huasteca Potosina, the most beautiful part of Mexico foreigners don't know about
Old May 30, 2015, 1:32 pm
slickvik

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Originally Posted by JDiver
When you get a chance, tell us more!

Is it very hot and humid in May?
Just got back, the most unique trip of my life for sure.

Day 1: Flew into San Luis Potosí from Houston IAH, the airport is small just a couple of gates, but nice, no wait for bags or immigration. Had an early morning bus to ciudad valles the next morning so just stayed at a motel next door to the bus station called Hotel Sand's, only $44 U.S. Slept four hours then walked to the bus station, bought my 4:20 AM bus ticket on Vencedor ($35 US) and got to Ciudad Valles at 8:15 AM.

Day 2: Upon arrival walked to the hotel Sierra Huasteca Inn, previously country inn, and walked to the grocery store next door, Soriana, bought some fruits and went to the hotel where the tour van was ready for us. Went to some waterfalls where we jumped off 8 waterfalls (make sure to wear Aqua shoes), then repelled off a 54 meter cliff, then had lunch, then dropped back at the hotel.

Day 3: Went to Xilitla and saw the surrealistic garden of Edward James aka Las Pozas, then went to lunch, had a bit to wander around Xilitla, then went to Huahuas aka the abyss where birds dive downwards.

Day 4: Picked up and taken to Puente de Dios in Tamasopo, basically an area where a bunch of waterfalls meet, and jumped off some cliffs. Caught the bus from here to Valles, but it was a second class bus so half the price ($20 US) but 40% longer, but a fascinating journey. Bus driver picked up anyone and everyone from the side of the road and dropped them anywhere they liked. Was interesting to see people dropped on the side of a mountain to go home. Got into San Luis Potosí around 9 pm, checked into hotel panorama, a very nice hotel ($60 US) and went to sleep for a few hours, then took the flight back to Houston in the morning. I wish I had another day in San Luis Potosí city as it is a beautiful colonial city.

All in all a very unique and fascinating journey. The tour itself was $275 US for 3 days including lunch and also 2 nights hotel, very reasonable. Also though Tampico is closer the situation there is very unstable so I recommend flying to San Luis Potosí instead.