FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 2015 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004
Old May 30, 2015, 5:18 am
flying_geek

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Extraordinary circumstances

Hi all,

So I am trying to understand what "extraordinary circumstances" are - and if they are even relevant if they occurred on the inbound flight resulting in a delayed departure (which we were on).

Three of us were on BA 206 (MIA-LHR) which was delayed over 3 hours (and landed 3h 17 min behind schedule) - allegedly (and I have no reason to doubt that) the aircraft that was meant to fly LHR-MIA that day was hit by a catering truck and had to be swapped.

Now, while I can see this counting as an extraordinary circumstance for the flight LHR-MIA, my interpretation is that this doesn't apply to the MIA-LHR flight we were on.

The delay resulted in us missing our connection to VIE; and assuming the flight we got booked on now, arrives on time, we will get to Vienna 5 hours late (but certainly more than 4 - pretty much no change this thing will land an hour early)

Do you guys think my interpretation of "extraordinary circumstances" is correct? Should I be entitled to a claim?

Thanks for your opinion and advice

Last edited by flying_geek; May 30, 2015 at 5:34 am