FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - pumping etiquette - is there an appropriate reply?
Old May 28, 2015, 8:02 am
soxfanndc

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
pumping etiquette - is there an appropriate reply?

Background: So I was scheduled to travel from FLL-ATL-BWI this past Tuesday. Proactively switched to MIA-ATL-BWI yesterday (5/27) b/c I would have mis-connected in ATL on the original flight.

so yesterday I'm on DL 1460, MIA-ATL, 7:45A-9:34A. I must admit in all honesty I was cranky from the WX and IRROPS the night before AND having to run and catch this DL #1460 since my later flight that a.m. had also been delayed. Alas, I board flight and am in 12C. It's pretty early and I'm asleep before we even push back from gate. Lady in 13D starts (breast)pumping once we reach 10,000'. I only know she's pumping b/c of the sound the machine makes. I QUICKLY look back and realize what she's doing and turn back around frustrated b/c I can't sleep.

She has the right to pump (I think?) and as a MALE I sure as heck wasn't gonna make a stink but 1) it was early and I was trying to sleep and the machine was kinda loud and 2) I'll admit that I looked QUICKLY but it did not appear she had a child with her so I wonder if she coulda delayed doing so.

I'm just wondering if it woulda been ok to let her know the pumping was annoying? As it turns out, I just stayed quiet and chose not to address the issue. Again, I didn't want to be the "insensitive DUDE" who doesn't value nursing mothers........ thoughts on this delicate issue?