FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AZ to end AF/KL partnership from january 2017
Old May 24, 2015, 1:23 am
CXBA
Suspended

Programs: CX MPO
Originally Posted by orbitmic
In 2006, Prodi was open to giving AF far more power if they wanted to, but they did not.
I think AF wanted to repeat the same stunts that LH used successfully with its European acquisitions, getting an airline weakened and unable to get back on its feet by itself in a fire sale price and being invited as the ultimate savior. In that period Spinetta started making some strong statement in the French media about the need for AF to take over totally AZ and downsizing its workforce. Among the proposals he put forward was the closure of AZ long haul network and the reduction of AZ to a mere regional feeder for CDG and perhaps Schiphol. I never completely understood why he spoke in a way that was assured to alienate whatever support he had in Italy, Prodi was (and still is) a notorious supporter of the Franco-German "European" establishment and pushed forward as much as possible, and talks with AZ were proceeding quickly and without noticeable bumps, mostly because AZ financial situation was worsening at a rapid pace. After that Italian trade unions were quickly up in arms against the threat of massive layoffs, and a substantial portion of the business and political elite started to become highly suspicious of AF motives. Prodi government was weakened by his leftist coalition infighting and in less than two years was defeated in the polls and gave in to Berlusconi. I tend to agree to Orbitmic version, that was a badly thought, badly executed attempt to an acquisition.