FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel Insurance- Best policy for Weather delays (hurricane, cyclone, etc)
Old May 23, 2015, 11:47 pm
Exec_Plat

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Travel Insurance- Best policy for Weather delays (hurricane, cyclone, etc)

I am looking to insure against issues around weather- for example:

- PART of a trip is cancelled due to weather taking out a resort, or resort is closed. Pretty straightforward.-

- I miss two days at a resort due to weather preventing flights to leave where I was. There is NOT a "COMPLETE cessation of all services by carrier". Yes, flights are cancelled for over 24 hrs, but only to my destination. (ie Qantas still flies to other airports)

- I am delayed and as a result I miss an International F award. The delay reason IS a 'covered reason' As my original "Class of Fare" is first, would a policy cover purchase of an F ticket? For example:

(Airfare limited to the cost
of one-way airfare using the same class of fare
as the original travel ticket).
Am I the only one that things "Class of fare" is an odd phrase and is most likely a purposeful choice?

So will they fly me home in F if my ticket is F award?

Any inputs on above? Many policies have odd language around 'hours the airline needs to be shut down to be considered a valid reason'. 6 hrs, 12...up to 48. Plus some have the 'complete cessation' BS. What does that mean? Am I being too literal?

Weather which causes complete cessation of
services of Your Common Carrier for at least 24
consecutive hours.
(Some policies replace "your common carrier" with "travel services"- which is really pointless, IMO)

I am, of course, concerned with trip cancellation for all sorts of reasons- medical, accidents, a company going belly up, etc. As well as medical, evac, etc... But the whole weather aspect seems awfully variable

Thoughts/guidance?