FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Are taxes charged on award nights using points?
Old May 22, 2015, 2:54 pm
CloudCoder

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
If you make a reservation using all points, in most cases you won't owe one penny. They will swipe your credit card for "incidentals" which will show a pending charge of (it varies by property, typically $50). That charge disappears a few days after checkout.

If the hotel routinely charges a "resort fee" then _some_ Hyatts ... very few ... do charge you that amount. However IME an all-points stay doesn't cost one penny. Obviously if you have extras such as valet parking or room service, those charges will appear on your bill.
Originally Posted by therealdt
Sorry, I should have clarified what I meant by fees. I do realize that the resort fee might be charged depending upon the location, but I was wondering about any other room related fees since the room charge is $ 0, how can they assess any room based fees or taxes?

And yes, I am only asking about taxes only on the room on an all points award.

After I posted my question to FT, I have since received an email response from HGP customer service of: "we do charge for taxes and fees on free night award stays or Hyatt credit card free night award stay at any hotels worldwide".

I am now so confused.

Could the HGP rep meant "do not" instead of "do"? The response was via email (and not via telephone), and so it isn't a situation were I could have misheard.