FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is Emirates a financial scam?
View Single Post
Old May 22, 2015, 2:49 am
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FD1971

No analysis, just basic reproduction.
Your post characterizing your posts again? Reads like it?

Originally Posted by lokijuh
Not that it make an overall difference to their profitability is it the "poor guys" that are paying for their fares or is it their employers? I think in SIN, labourers pay their own way, but for domestic helpers, their employers are required to pay for airfares for bi-annual home leave. Of course the ME is famous for lack of protection for foreign workers, so expect there employers pay for nothing ...
The GCC employers pay my Indian acquaintances for repeat annual trips to India or anywhere else they have family residence; and some of them are entitled to premium cabin trips. They haven't had an issue, but these are professional or senior managerial/advisory positions rather than unskilled/low-skilled labor jobs. A lot of places in the world are known for lack of protection of foreign workers, and that includes US and EU places. And some places in the EU want to make it worse for foreign workers; for example, the UK wants to seize foreign workers wages if they happen to have some kind of change of immigration status while working in the UK.

For low-skilled/unskilled labor, the UAE and QR working conditions on average are comparable or superior to what they have in comparable jobs in their home countries; and they get paid far more for it than they do in their home countries.

Originally Posted by Worcester
Does make you wonder though when you read about the conditions of the workers building the Qatar football stadiums. A team of BBC reporters were recently arrested for talking to people they were not meant to.

It seems that companies there are not expected to oporate in a transparent way, and those who raise concerns are arrested or worse.

I wonder therefore what the safety culture is like at these airlines.
There are no saints when it comes to governments. For example, if I try to convey certain US-acquired information while in the UK about the UK's/UK companies' violation of privacy, the UK may arrest me too. If I try to fly out of Australia with some kind of encryption software or US-allowed media, is that potential grounds for arrest in Australia? Yes.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 22, 2015 at 2:59 am