FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The cashless toll road trap: FL and others
Old May 20, 2015, 3:23 pm
ssession

Programs: AA Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by flyingtrainguy
North Texas, under the aegis of the North Texas Toll Authority (NTTA), has gone totally cashless for its extensive network of toll roads and growing number of high occupancy-toll (HOT) lanes. The NTTA utilizes yet another technology which resembles a thin sticker (RFID-like device) called a TXTag. The TXTag is compatible with the technology used by the Oklahoma Turnpike and the DFW parking system. Its not compatible with EZ-Pass. The NTTA encourages users to get a TxTag by offering lower toll rates. If you don't have a TxTag you can also pay by mail - the NTTA doesn't assess a use fee, but does charge higher toll rates for using "Zip Cash." Effectively a use fee. Until recently there was a threshold that had to be met before a bill was sent, but after some controversy they have been sending bills for most outstanding amounts on a monthly basis.
I moved out of Texas but kept my tolltag (the older transponder that they gave out before the sticker) for my trips back to the state. The problem is the cashless tolls defaulted to reading the license plate, not the tolltag. Adding the rental car to my account during the periods I used the toll roads did not work because the billing there is sporadically delayed. If I waited till all my tolls posted, its almost guaranteed I'd get charged for someone who used the car after me. Often their toll posted before mine! I removed the rental car from my account after I saw other's tolls being charged and then I got dinged a fee by the rental company because one posted later.

And they can be very, very delayed. I got a bill over 6 months late. I had moved across the country and sold my old vehicle so I thought they had taken my old truck back to Texas. Turns out I went through to toll while I was still living in Dallas and they just never billed my account back then. Other tolls on the same days were billed, but for some reason they waited months to charge my account for others. The system is not smart enough to sync up the time and determine the account that the car was assigned to at that time.

Something similar happened in New Jersey years ago too when I tried linking an EZ-Pass to my rental car out there. It ignored the pass and just took a picture of the plate and sent it to the rental car agency. I got a giant bill from them because I was on the turnpike every day for months. With A LOT of paperwork I managed to get some of it back but never did get it all.