FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)
Old May 17, 2015, 4:09 pm
bertheike

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Simple ( and hard to argue that it is silly rules ) is that

(a) Need to travel directly between origin zone and destination zone and
(b) has to be a routing that would be permitted on a paid fare. ( MPMs are only relevant when designated routeings are not specified )

For some destinations it is impossible ( or at least very difficult ) to travel between origin zone and destination zone directly. In these cases an exception is made

For Europe to Middle East/India , there is no reason at all to provide an exception since there is no issue going directly between regions

For Europe to South Pacific, transit in Asia 1 or Asia 2 is permitted. This provides decent options to get between Europe and South Pacific. Without the exception , would be limited to QF2/10 and BA15 from Europe to South Pacific rather than allow travel on airlines such as CX, MH and JL

It would ne nice if it also allowed Middle East as a connection point with a QR exception , which I am surprised is not allowed, but it is what it is

I am not surprised at such rules when you look at what people will try to do otherwise
Which logic is behind this ?
My most liked Routing is between Germany and Thailand.
With the existing rules Iam limited to (CX) FRA-HKG-BKK/HKT which is one of my top, but due to only 1 flight per day availability is very much limited in prem. cabins.
2nd, (BA) DE-LON-BKK, which is not an real option due to the high YQ and one of the most bad availability @ all in C/F, and MH does not fly anymore ex DE via KUL.
The best availability is on EY and QR via AUH and DOH and with alot of flights every day from DUS/HAM/BER/FRA and MUC to BKK and HKT.
The flights are no backtracking, and both EY and QR have published rates for the Routings.

P.S. I know, both origing ( DE ) and Destination (TH) are mainly served by *aliance. But I not choosed to " suck" with oneworld. US changed to AA and BMI DC to BA. And now people them have saved miles over many years, have to see how them can burn them. And as already said, Iam not willing to pay more than 1000 $ on fees for BA Award flights,( which is a rippoff )! With these fees some awards even not have a value @ all.

Last edited by bertheike; May 17, 2015 at 4:21 pm