FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Am I totally screwed out of $1400 by H&R ?
Old May 17, 2015, 3:35 pm
Mamibear

Originally Posted by inY
Quoth clause 16 of the H&R Block Emerald Prepaid Mastercard Cardholder Agreement: "In the event your Card Account is canceled, closed, or terminated for any reason, the unused balance will be returned to you via a check to the mailing address we have in our records." If that hasn't happened to you, recommend filing a dispute by mail per clause 17, opting out of arbitration per clause 18, and reminding them of that.

I am not a lawyer.
^

OP, check these terms on HRB MCprepaid card cardholder agreement

Originally Posted by xSTRIKEx6864
One need not be a lawyer to understand that means a check will be issued. OP got no check issued, so they are not upholding the agreement.
correct, HRB is the one that is violating their own terms. They have the right to cancel OP's account but they have to follow what is stated in their own T&C.

Originally Posted by prasha11
@:-)

but the funds were returned back to the source from his account, there is no money in the account to issue a refund check...unless H&R emerald has powers to pull back the money they returned?

The only thing H&R emerald can do is assist OP to recover from the GCs bank. will they/will they not?
why are your statements now contradictory when all the while you were suppose to be FOR OP's interest? seems like you're singing a different tune now

Originally Posted by inY
The bank made an error by not following their own terms. They can correct this error by charging the prepaid cards again and sending a check.

Problem is that H&R block is conflating "unprofitable customer" with "fraud". In a true fraud situation, refunding the cards would be the right thing to do. But they're not treating it like fraud by alerting the issuing bank.
I concur.

OP, I hope that if you point out to them their own T&C, they will change their tune and mail you a check. IF they make it difficult, it's time to get CFPB involved.