FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How many are REALLY leaving UA?
View Single Post
Old May 15, 2015, 11:43 am
LarkSFO

Originally Posted by spin88
Lark, the fare difference is quite large at this point on the TPAC routes for UA I have checked over the last 6 months, and if UA has to do this type of discounting to fill its planes it says that my attitude is not unusual.
I'll take your word on this, I have not checked or flown.

Its the result of probably two things (1) the loss of elites who would pay more because they did not look around, and (2) the book away factor.
Please admit this is pure speculation on your part.

The book away factor is particularly problematic as it means you are trying to sell you seats to a smaller (and more price sensitive) group, hence more discounts.
So concludes spin88....

I paid $1825/ticket, the "all UA" routing was $1225, that says a lot, and accepting one or two UA legs pushed down the price considerably from $1825.
I think it says alot. About you and your priorities. Which cannot be extrapolated any further than that...

Check out a site like Hipmonk on some searches and you will see the pattern very clearly as it shows what each airline is willing to offer for each leg.
Suggest some routings ex-SFO and I will go take a look.

Your suggestion that UA is kicking it in the profit department, let alone that it is the result of Jeff's "savvy" plan has been disproved multiple times.
This was not my suggestion at all. And thank you for continuing to insult everybody who does not buy in to your 'analysis'.

My question was: Did UA have their (self proclaimed) record breaking Q1 even though they are deeply discounting fares to attract kayakers?

Or did they start this deep discounting after their (self proclaimed) record breaking Q1?