FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Los Alamos NM questions
View Single Post
Old May 7, 2015, 3:01 pm
Amicus

Originally Posted by cblaisd
United currently flies a few flights daily to Santa Fe, which is quite a bit closer to Los Alamos.

If I had the opportunity, I'd take it in a heartbeat. Los Alamos is a fascinating town, very high educational levels, near enough to Albuquerque to get away, but isolated enough to be quiet and peaceful.

I love that part of New Mexico with all its varied climates and topographies.

I would think commuting from Albuquerque would get old fast. I very much like Albuquerque too, but it has gotten significantly more crowded and with much more traffic over the last decade.
Thank you for this perspective. When my spouse was asked to travel to Los Alamos next week, the Fed. Govt. travel agent (SatoTravel) took care of the booking and stated that ABQ was the nearest airport (we fly out of MCI).

We thought about living in ABQ solely because we want to make this our last move, and didn't anticipate finding all of what we want in Los Alamos.
Didn't consider Santa Fe, though.

From my wee bit of research, it seems NM has a relatively low cost of living. Perfect. Looking for a peaceful, less congested area than where we have lived in the past (Wash. D.C., Chicago, and now Kansas City). Check.

But, need to find work myself if spouse takes this job, and I like to be near a reasonable sized city that has things to do.
Also, I have asthma issues, and doctors have advised a dry climate.