FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Unbelievable (12 hrs early at MIA and Checked Baggage Issues)
Old May 6, 2015, 6:17 pm
rjpjr

Programs: DL
Unbelievable (12 hrs early at MIA and Checked Baggage Issues)

Every word of this very long story is true.

Spouse and I show up at MIA for our AA direct flight to BWI, check in and drop a bag, go through security to our gate, then find out we are 12 hrs early for our flight. Need you ask why? Moving on, here is what happened after that stunning mistake.

I proceed to the AA booking center to see about getting on an earlier flight. One person is ahead of me being served by the single agent. The person is going ballistic about poor service and problems getting rescheduled from some international flight breakdown. I decide to bail on the desk and proceed to a bank of phones next to the desk. I reach a reservations agent. She: “We can rebook you on the next flight for $75 per person.” Me: “Great! But that flight leaves in about 90 min. What about my bag?” She: “No problem sir. Take your baggage claim check to the gate. They will scan it and all will be well.” Me: “Let me consult with my spouse.” I get the go-ahead.

Return to the booking center. No line this time - I proceed directly to Agent Barry. Me: “Can you please rebook me onto this flight?” He: “No sir. The flight is less than 3 hours in the future and you have checked a bag. We are prohibited from putting you on that flight.” Me: “Huh?!?” He: “I’m sorry sir, but those are the rules. I can rebook you onto the flight after that one. However, your bag will not transfer.” Me: “Thank you Barry. I will inquire with the agents over the phone and get back with you if need be.”

I walk to the phone bank and get an agent on the line. She: “He told you WHAT!?!” Me: “He said there is some 3-hr rule at MIA.” She: “Never heard of anything so preposterous. Let me call my colleague.” Five minutes pass. She: “Well it seems they have something called a positive bag match. So, he is right about the 3-hr rule, but your bag will transfer if I book you over onto the flight after that one. However I can’t assign seats - you will have to do that at the gate.” Me: “Let’s do that. I assume I can get my seats at the booking center correct?” She: “Of course. Your bag is set to go.” She makes the reservation change and I proceed to Barry for seats.

Me: “I’ve been rebooked. Can I get seat assignments?” He: “Of course. You did say you have a bag. That is not going to make it.” Me: “The phone agent said it would.” He: “They don’t know what they are talking about. This is MIA and we don’t do bag transfers.” Me: “Why is this so difficult? The flight is 4 hours in the future. The phone agent was laughing when I told her what you said initially.” He: “Well that’s what I would expect from a reservation agent.” He flags down a passing supervisor. Barry: “Do we do bag transfers in cases like this?” Supervisor: “No. Haven’t for years. Maybe for international connections but otherwise no way.” Barry: “There is only one chance to get that bag onto your flight. You need to go to the baggage service and tell them you want it back, then take it up to ticketing and check it in again. When you go to baggage services, DO NOT tell them you have been rebooked. Tell them you have an emergency and are not flying today.” Supervisor: “That should work.”

I leave the secure area and go to baggage services. This takes about 20 min. Me: “I need to get my bag back. This is an emergency.” Agent’s face turns white. She: “Sir, it will take us at least 5 hours to pull the bag and bring it back here. Can’t you rebook?” Me: “Well, uh, I have in fact rebooked but was told to come get the bag or it wouldn’t transfer. And I wasn’t supposed to tell you about the rebooking.” She “WHAT?!?! Those idiots. Do you have a ticket?” Me: “Even better - I have a boarding pass.” I hand it to her. She types something into her computer. She: “Your bag has already been transferred sir. Nothing more needs to be done.”

I return to Barry in the terminal and relate what took place at baggage services. I ask whether AA would be proud of the customer service I had received today. Barry shrugs. I ask for a supervisor. Barry: “I can’t just call one over. They just wander around - I have to flag one down.” Fortunately, just at that moment Barry catches one out of the corner of his eye and waives him over. I relate the story to him. He shrugs and says the bag will not be on the plane. I inform him that the baggage person can tell from the boarding pass that it is rerouted. He begins typing into a computer. Starts muttering about “looks like an R in front of the bag number….”. Continues typing and muttering. I go for the brass ring and request passes to the Admirals Club because I have just spent 2 hours and walked five miles for nothing. He: “We can’t do that.” Me: “Is there someone who could authorize that?” He: “No” Me: “Well I guess I’ll just go to the gate then. The good news is that the bag will eventually get to me, either on the plane or by your delayed-bag service.” He chuckles and says “You’re right on that!”

Arrive at destination. No bag. Go to baggage services. Agent: “You changed flights after you checked the bag. That’s a Voluntary Separation. You should call us to find out when the bag arrives here, then you can come pick it up. We will hold it no more than 5 days.” After I calmly explain what I was told by his colleagues in baggage services in MIA, I unleash a long loud stream of verbal abuse directed towards AA (but no cursing I am proud to say).

Call AA baggage services the following day around lunch. Agent: “What is you locator code?” Me: “My what?” Agent: “They didn’t give you one when you reported the bag missing? Give me your name and flight number.” I do so. Agent: “Your bag is there. I will send a message over to have it delivered. Write down this locator code in case you have to follow up. You’ll get a call in a few hours about the delivery time.” Me: ???? Hours pass and it is now 8PM. Call baggage services. Agent: “What is your locator code?” I give her the code. Agent: “That code is not correct for a bag delivery. I’ll set it up again. Here is the new code. You’ll hear from us tomorrow.”

In an amazing stroke of luck, my bag was delivered the next day.