FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - the most important aspects of flying are done by the least important people
Old May 6, 2015, 8:07 am
Tchiowa
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by JTCz
I have the highest respect for all of them, but especially for cleaning crews. Given the state some of my fellow passengers leave the airplane and the quick turnaround times, I am always amazed by the fact that I find my seats and cabin clean and properly set-up.
There is no job that doesn't deserve respect. Not working, that I don't respect. But someone who is doing the best they can in a job that may not be particularly glamorous or rewarding but they do it to provide for their family (rather than being a parasite on society) deserves respect.

Originally Posted by 84fiero
I think what this really illustrates is how little we appreciate what we have (and I'll be the first to point the finger at myself for being guilty of it as the next person!)

We take for granted flying to begin with - what would have seemed like a miracle to just a couple of generations before us. Someone steps off of a ~7-8 hour flight across the Atlantic from Europe to eastern North America - instead of the two months or so that a wooden sailing ship took (assuming you weren't one of those onboard who died from disease enroute), or even the few days that steamships spent crossing in the early 20th century...And the passenger's complaint is that they had to wait a few extra minutes for bags to be offloaded.

I don't mean this towards the OP in particular and like I said, I am just as guilty...like tonight I caught myself getting impatient waiting 4 minutes for the microwave to heat something up for dinner! It's just funny when you think about it and how quickly human minds adjust to new levels of expectations.
Louis CK take on exactly what you're saying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFsOUbZ0Lr0

Last edited by Tchiowa; May 6, 2015 at 8:13 am