FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - the most important aspects of flying are done by the least important people
Old May 5, 2015, 3:26 pm
AtlanticX

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Asiana Club Silver, Flying Blue Ivory
I find my home airport, Schiphol, a bit of an annoyance in this regard.

To begin with, it's always quite the walk to the baggage claim area. But hey, I'm fit and a fast walker. The route is well-marked, but the stairs leading down always give me the impression that I'm making a wrong turn.

Anyway, I usually breeze through passport control... and then I wait. And wait. One time when there was a somewhat longer queue, I wondered whether I should get the 'Privium' card (kind of like Global Entry) to skip the line at passport control, but what's the point if that just means a longer wait for my bag?

Final annoyance is that the announcements on the screen above the belts like "First baggage on belt", "Last baggage put on belt" seem to not mean the conveyor topside, but someplace somewhere in the dungeons of Schiphol, where they unload the bags. There's a discrepancy of minutes between "First baggage on belt" and when the bags actually appear. Similarly, when you've not gotten your bag and it says "Last luggage on belt", you start to vaguely worry, while the system actually is most likely to spew out your suitcase just when you give up hope.