FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ: How to Save Money/YQ on Aeroplan Europe redemptions
Old May 4, 2015, 9:56 pm
Motoss

Originally Posted by Marlin240
Look into TK flights out of YUL and sometimes YYZ (less availability typically I find). So long as you don't have a stopover (layover is fine) in those cities, there is no YQ to get to Europe (just the usual taxes). I think LX also can work out of YUL but it's harder to match a YVR-YUL flight within the < 24 h window that doesn't involve a very late arrival into YUL. With the late departure (~23:30) to IST, it's easier to connect up with TK.

Of course, that doesn't mean finding those YVR-YUL/YYZ flights won't still be a challenge...

The advantage of flying YUL or YYZ vs SFO and ORD is that the mileage is shorter, particularly vs SFO, thereby meaning more wiggle room for the MPM of your destination. Availability I've noticed (for J that is): YUL > ORD > YYZ > SFO. Right now, AE reward seat on the SFO-IST flight in J seems to have dried up.

Even if you do a stopover in YUL or YYZ, however, the YQ will be (comparatively) low since it's a domestic flight, nothing like the few to several hundreds for TATL.
Thank for the info - this might be the best option. Thanks again.