FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Account Suspensions/Closures on Accusations of Fraud/Brokering
Old Apr 26, 2015, 5:06 pm
haha10

Originally Posted by Snowdevil
I seem to recall this same issue being raised here awhile back; OP was from Australia, had earned the majority of the miles using CC transactions, etc.

Because AS permits the purchase of miles, there are instances where they've been the victims of credit card fraud as a result. Here's how it works:

- Fraudster opens an AS Mileage Plan account; does not live anywhere AS flies
- Fraudster uses a stolen credit card to buy a large sum of miles on AS (50K to 100K or more)
- Fraudster then immediately redeems miles for award ticket on an AS partner carrier (BA was always the most commonly used) and it's almost always for someone else, generally for travel in the next 24-48 hrs

So in these cases, Points.com gets wind that the card is stolen and bills back AS. By this time AS has already issued the ticket, and the traveler has already embarked on their trip (it's generally one-way only).

The fraudster is banking on the fact that these varying degrees of separation, coupled with the time it takes for the actual cardholder to catch on that their card was charged, will allow enough time to pass for the traveler (who they've now sold the ticket to via Craigslist, ebay, etc.) will have flown.

So AS is left having to reimburse the partner airline for the travel done using AS miles.

As a result, unusual transactions (New MP member not from anywhere AS flies, suddenly flush with 100K+ miles, all purchased, redeeming for travel in the next day or two) get flagged as potential fraud and the ticket changed to no-go status until AS can verify the legitimacy of the miles.

I don't know for certain that this is what occurred here, but there are enough similarities that it makes sense that this is why the account is locked at this point. Call Customer Care and I'm sure they'll be willing to unlock the account if enough documentation is provided to satisfy them that the transactions are all above-board.
Thank you for your reply. I can send any documents to them, like CC statements, passports and so on. Coz I am not fraud, so I can provide anything they want. I just book award ticket after 10 days by catchy pacifc and after 30 days by catchy pacfic too. We bought ticket from aus to HK, so I provide this ticket to AS. There are three name on it.