FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - HEADS UP with your Disney Resort Reservations
Old Apr 26, 2015, 8:11 am
Mary2e
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I've never run into that situation, but then again, I'm mostly at Hyatts and have never had an issue shortening a reservation. If they have the clause, it's not enforced as far as I can tell.

However, Disney never had this rule before. They actually encouraged people to book as many nights as possible so they were covered when dates firmed up. People booked some of those specials a year in advance. Keep in mind that discounted rates have an expiration date for booking. So someone who needs to change arrival date loses their discount.

They changed the policy overnight with no notice and retroactively.

However, I don't believe it's to equalize their reservations or to make sure the discounts are more evenly applied. I believe it has to do with people gaming the FP+ system and causing problems with lack of discount availability, only to be cancelled.

I would agree with the policy if they did this for people within 60 days - that would cut out the gamers.

If I have a discounted room and discover I need to cut back a night, that puts the room back in non-discounted availability. I think that so many people were gaming the system that they were ending up with rooms at the last minute (5 days out) they could not sell.

But this isn't the way to go about it.

It seems that there is a pretty large community of people who start trying to get an advantage every time Disney comes out with something new. The first I can remember is when Cinderella's Royal Table became so popular that people were SELLING their reservations. Other people were getting paid to MAKE the reservation. Disney put a stop to it, first requiring a deposit, and now it has to be prepaid.

While here on FT we're all looking for an advantage, I don't think anyone has gone to the lengths I've seen. Well perhaps those on the MS forum, but I don't really pay much attention.

The point of my post was to warn people this is now the policy.