FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using AA Miles to book award Travel on Iberia to Cuba
Old Apr 25, 2015, 11:38 am
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by pvgman
Thanks for your answer, I wasn't clear enough, I intended to pay for my ticket flying directly from Europe with IB and collect points on my AA account, if I can't I may just use avios or a * airline.
You can not earn miles on any AA partner (or AA) to or from Cuba. I flew AA HAV-MIA and though the flight was listed as an AA 9413, but as US - Cuba flights are operated as charters to Cuba Travel Services, no miles.

The U. S. Treasury Office of Foreign Asset Control regulations restrict earning miles from any American airline frequent flyer programs on foreign airlines, so it's not possible to earn AAdvantage miles flying to or from Cuba using Iberia (of course, you can earn Avios). This will apply to any U.S. airline's FFP, regardless of alliance.

I believe a Congressional action would be required to rescind the regulations, and I dont see the political will to do that for some time. For more detailed information, see:

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-cen...ages/cuba.aspx