FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Need to buy a ticket to DXB: Strategy for comfort & miles
Old Apr 22, 2015, 2:47 pm
ChurchofTee

Programs: AA Exec Plat (LT Gold), SPG Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Need to buy a ticket to DXB: Strategy for comfort & miles

I need to get to DXB for work, arrive DXB on 5/9 and start return journey on 5/14. I want to get there as comfortable as possible and earn as much EQM as possible. I am prepared to give up some EQM for comfort. I need to book within the next 2 days. Per my company policy I can only pay for Y. I have 6 SWUs left and I have plenty of miles to use to upgrade. I have an EF account for searching C availability.

I can get there any in routing, but I need to get there in one day / night vs. 2 (so cannot go over the Pacific Ocean).

I have looked at routing via LHR on AA, then connecting to BA to DXB but the flights do not look promising for an upgrade with SWU. I have also looked at going to FRA and a return for SWU looks positive but not as much outbound. But if I did FRA, I would have to fly LH from FRA-DXB.

Here are some questions I need help:
  1. Will AA transfer a bag to LH in FRA? The loads to FRA seem best option that I see so far but need to do more research.
  2. Other options / thoughts of route / partners to get me to DXB in more comfort than Y?
  3. What is the priority of upgrades, SWU before points and cash is what I believe to be correct. Am I?
  4. I am looking to get into Europe in J, I believe that is closest I can get to DXB in J. Or can I upgrade some other than BA or IB with AAdvantage miles?

Any help?