FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Needed: A forum for travelers who smoke
View Single Post
Old Apr 19, 2015, 2:28 pm
Dovster
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Needed: A forum for travelers who smoke

Let's face facts -- as the frequent travelers' programs become more and more useless, there is considerably less interest in points and miles. Today, many more posts concern the accommodations that airlines, hotels, and car rental agencies offer.

We are more interested in what kind of seats are available in planes, which hotels in a particular city are most conveniently located, and how difficult is it to pick up a car at one agency than at another.

In short, we want to get the most comfort for our dollars and not the most points (or status).

In the US, 18% of all people over the age of 18 are smokers. I would not be at all surprised to learn that this number is higher in other countries. I am also going to guess that FTers smoke at about the same rate.

For a smoker, "comfort" often translates into where he can light up. On my last trip to Atlanta, for example, I was disappointed to learn that both the airport Hilton and the airport Embassy Suites, where I have stayed in the past, are now smoke-free. Instead of using my HHonors points to get an award stay at one of these hotels, I paid to spend my three nights in a crappy Microtel that allowed smoking -- and was happy to be able to find it.

I realize that for the approximate 82% of FTers who do not smoke, a smoker's forum would be useless but for those who do, it would be very helpful.

It would not fit into any existing forum as it would cross all corporate lines. For example, while National (like most large car rental agencies) does not allow smoking in their cars, in LAS, when I asked about it, they told me they do not enforce the rule.

If I am traveling to a city which I have not visited for a while, I would like to know what hotels I can stay in and smoke in my room. If I am going to rent a car, and there is an agency which will allow me to smoke, I would prefer getting my car there. Airports have constantly changing rules about smoking (MXP allowed it for years, then banned it, and now has smoking booths).

I would find it very helpful if there was a forum specifically dedicated to providing information on where we can smoke. The people who are most knowledgeable about this are other smokers and they would be the ones most apt to post in such a forum.