FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [PREM FARE GONE] AA DCA-PEK sub-$450 a/i rt in J
Old Apr 17, 2015, 4:35 pm
cbuckhouse

I just returned from my "3" day trip to Beijing. I was "originally" scheduled to fly out on April 13tha and return on the 16th. So I would have had about 36 hours in Beijing.

Well, my flight out on the 13th was delayed, and at about 2 hours into delay I began to panic that I would actually have no time in Beijing, so I called reservations. After explaining my situation and asking to change my return to the 17th and a long wait while the reservation agent "researched", I was told that I could change but I would have to pay the difference in the fares, about $9,000.00. Needless to say , I said I would just stay where I was.

The flight was further delayed and we finally were allowed to board around 7:30 or 8 pm. We sat on the plane for about an hour when the pilot stated that the mechanical issues could not be resolved and our flight was postponed until 10 am on the 14th. I called the preferred line this time, and explained situation and this time flight was changed to 17th and they also changed my "positioning" flight which was made on USAir ways so agent had to "confer" with them, but it was all flights changed without charge. We were given food vouchers totaling $31 (breakfast, lunch, and dinner), a hotel room and some were getting taxi vouchers if no hotel shuttle.

Plane left "on time" the next morning (well, a little delay concerning wind and runway). Everything else smooth.

When I arrived at my hotel, checked my email and American had emailed me about the delay and an apology and note saying they were giving me 15,000 miles for my "trouble". I checked my AA account, and they had already deposited.

On an additional note, I had signed up for platinum challenge the day before I left to start my journey (had been silver on US, then gold on AA) and that had already changed as well, I am now a AA platinum. The miles from flight already posted and the DOUBLE EQP did also!