FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)
Old Apr 16, 2015, 10:17 pm
Duke787
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tomzo
Just spent the last few days searching for hibiki 17 in Tokyo in anticipation the airport duty free would not have any. For the record, I visited the Yamazaki distillery in kyoto this trip and even they didn't have any hibiki 17 available to sell in the gift shop, because of such high demand.
After many disappointing runs at the liquor stores, super markets and department stores in the last few days, here are the only successes we found.

Takashimaya: good abundance of Japanese whiskey on the shelf including many different nikka varieties. Hibiki 17 sells for ¥12,960 a bottle.

Liquors Hasagawa: went to several of their locations in Tokyo station to come up empty, however randomly came across the real liquor store in the station located across from Anclar Tapas near the street exit. Here they had everything including Hibiki 17 for ¥12,600.

Shocking how scarce it's become but still a great deal to buy in Tokyo and bring home. I saw Hibiki 17 going for $270 in NYC last month, so ~$100 is an exceptional deal for the smoothness found in Hibiki 17. Good luck fellow travelers.
Wow. Now I'm wishing I grabbed a 2nd bottle of 17 when I was there in March (got it at HND). I'll be transiting Tokyo again in a few weeks and was planning on getting another 17, may have to reconsider or hope that a liquor store in Narita Town has it