FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:28 am
RedLight2015

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by tmiw
Those rare merchants will void C&S cards regardless of country, yes. However, C&S cards from other countries are more likely to have a PIN backup for kiosks so they might not have as many problems there as Americans.

A lot of younger people only use debit cards (because they can't qualify for credit cards or never felt like they needed them). If US chipped debit cards didn't mostly behave like chip and signature cards overseas as well it probably would help. I don't know if debit cards from other C&S countries are always chip and PIN or not though.
Both my Wells Fargo and my BofA debit cards are chipped, and they behave exactly like a European Chip & PIN card when the card is being ran as debit, and the terminal is EMV enabled.

But if you run it as credit it behaves like a regular C&S card. Now traveling with these cards, I'm wondering if the debit online PIN will be accepted at machines that ask for a PIN abroad. I know in most cases, the card will behave like a C&S card abroad.