FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Apr 13, 2015, 5:21 pm
tmiw
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JEFFJAGUAR
Not sure I agree with your last paragraph. I suppose you're basing that statement on what we read here. The majority, not all of course, people who post here are from the United States. But one suspects, at least I do, that if a merchant doesn't want to accept chip and signature cards, that would be pretty much universal.
Those rare merchants will void C&S cards regardless of country, yes. However, C&S cards from other countries are more likely to have a PIN backup for kiosks so they might not have as many problems there as Americans.

Originally Posted by blaz
I think the reason is that Americans are obsessed with credit cards - this very thread is proof of it. As a European living in the US I find it hilarious that people are so concerned about a couple of kiosks not accepting their credit cards. Most Europeans couldn't care less - they would just use cash if their credit card fails. I think it is just different culture.
A lot of younger people only use debit cards (because they can't qualify for credit cards or never felt like they needed them). If US chipped debit cards didn't mostly behave like chip and signature cards overseas as well it probably would help. I don't know if debit cards from other C&S countries are always chip and PIN or not though.