FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - All inclusive car rental in NZ?
View Single Post
Old Apr 13, 2015, 7:22 am
AdMEL

Programs: QFF NB, Velocity Silver, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred, Thrifty Blue Chip (Oz), Europcar Privilege Exec.
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
Hertz CDW in NZ takes you to zero liability. All the others I looked at do not.
I think you mean Accident Excess Reduction (AER) - CDW is not a common term used in NZ (or Australia), except by Europcar. AER costs $29.90 a day incl. GST for standard cars.

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
All rental companies in New Zealand offer an zero liability option, but they have typical exclusions from coverage.

e.g. you fill up the car with diesel, instead of petrol. and you're not covered for this.

Typically your looking at $40NZD per day onto top of your rental price for full coverage, then you have an whole works of added fee's with the larger International Companies. such an $30-70 airport fee!

You could look at an compaine like Apex http://www.apexrentals.co.nz/ they some newer cars (aswell as the cheap range) but have much better pricing plans ect
Not correct! Avis and Budget do not offer a zero excess option in NZ (or Australia). Avis Excess Reduction at a cost of NZ $24 + 15% GST per day reduces the excess from NZ $3,450 to $345 incl of GST. Budget will be similar, given they have common ownership.

Note that undercarriage, roof, windscreen and water damage are generally excluded from insurance cover in NZ (and Australia). Driving on unsealed roads and many specific roads is also prohibited.

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Pretty much technically every Rental Car company won't cover you for driving off-road insurance coverage is limited to driving on standard roads.

What roads are you planning to take your rental car off road on? bare in mind that there are some road's in the South Island we're rental cars are banned, and you zero liability wont cover you.
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
Seems we both know the variance of roads on the SI. That's why I'd like to know, in this case, how a company carves that out, and data points on what they do in practice.
I'd also be interested to know which specific roads are prohibited, for future reference.