FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Apr 8, 2015, 11:58 am
tmiw
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I'm wondering if EMV is ultimately going to get an undeserved bad name in the US. Sure, the majority of places will have it eventually. "Eventually" may end up being a long time though--some retailers are trying to get the liability shift pushed back to 2016 for one thing. Since almost every business and card needs to adopt it to get the security benefits, we very well may never see any decline in overall fraud rates by the time we get that level of adoption at the POS. And then there's the whole chip and signature thing, which reeks of "we're too late so let's do the absolute minimum and hope that the next big thing takes off". In fact, Visa's already said as much.

The ironic thing is that adopting contact EMV is pretty much necessary to get the full benefit of things like Apple Pay. Yet, I have found far more places that accept Apple Pay than contact EMV. Even if I still have to sign for larger purchases at those places it's still more secure than just swiping.

Don't get me wrong, finally having EMV on our cards is a good thing. We should have gotten it sooner though. And now that there's Apple Pay, the naysayers are going to say that moving to EMV was a complete waste of time and money, not understanding that Apple Pay's made possible in part by it.