FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SWISS Upgrade Bargain (Bid or email invite to upgrade)
Old Apr 6, 15, 2:40 am
YuropFlyer

Not sure if 100% true (heard it first-hand from a colleague) but last week, he was supposed to fly in K with his +1 to PEK (from ZRH), and got a call around 28 hours prior to departure, asking if he was willing to pay 1000 CHF for an upgrade to Business class. He denied it. During Online-Checkin a few hours later, they were already upgraded to the Stübli. SEN and No Status.

Seems on popular holidays routes, when LX is massively overbooking Y but lots of seats empty in C/F (like PEK imho appears to be in spring, personal OpUp experience is also very good) they really try to squeeze some money instead of giving out free opups if they can..

The terrible OpUp rules from LH was the last piece that took me off LH completely, steps like this (or the removal of any baggage allowance even for SEN/HON..) will make me considering flying any LX even more.. well, I'm fairly sure QR, EK, EY, TK, SU, BA, AB etc. won't mind my money..