FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA Premium Economy
View Single Post
Old Apr 5, 15, 6:56 pm
Calchas
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Amtexfly View Post
I have had a quick look and as far as I can tell the points per are worse than either the Virgin or BA black cards.
I am not sure I agree.

The BA Black Amex gives 1.5 points for every pound you spend and 3 points for BA bookings.

The Gold Amex (if converted to Avios) gives 1 point for every pound ... except travel bookings (hotels, rail, restaurants, flights, forex) which get 2, and for the first year, supermarket spend and petrol spend also gets 2.

So yes if most of your spend is on BA and the rest is on non-travel, non-restaurant, non-supermarket, non-petrol, and in the UK, the BA Amex may be better. But actually I think for the first year the Gold Amex is pretty good.

But then the first six months of the Lloyds Avios Amex card gives you 2.5 points for every pound (up to some limit), and there's no forex fee. So for 22 per year, and the first year gets refunded from one of those cash back portals, it's not a bad deal. And there is a voucher for a WT+ to J class upgrade on ex-UK Avios bookings on BA metal.

Of course with the BA card you get the companion voucher, which may tip the scales. For me it is of no use as I have no companions