FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Supreme Leaders, Sheikhs and Sultans; Three weeks across Iran, UAE and Oman.(EY/EK F)
Old Apr 3, 2015, 3:21 pm
rivlinm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
Dubai, UAE: Day 3

Fully rested and recovered from our gluttony the evening before, we started our final full day with only one definite plan; a desert safari. I was already dreading signing up for this manufactured cultural experience, but we still had the morning to plan before our scheduled 15:00 pickup.

Blue skies over the fonds?

We wanted to take advantage of the beach, since otherwise what is the point of staying at The Palm, also, my mom was interested in seeing Dubai Miracle Garden. Between the taxi and the 30 AED entry I could think of many better ways to spend time and money in Dubai, but it certainly was interesting. Part of the development of the future Dubailand complex, they seasonally design millions of flowers in a variety of shapes and styles. Much like Lego-built miniland in a Legoland theme park, this garden had floral representations of Burj Dubai, people, castles and much more. If I had to compare the experience to something I would venture to say Haw Par Villa in Singapore, or maybe a train wreck that you can’t avoid staring at in awe.

That type face doesn’t look familiar at all

Dubai Miracle Garden entry flower

Not your normal garden

Highlight of the garden

Flower houses

The least floral structure in the garden

Middle Eastern flower train

Cars in flower Holland

The ultimate prom limo

I don’t even know where to start on this one…

Flower Burj Khalifa

Entry to Dubailand from Dubai Miracle Garden

Inside the flower castle

It was mostly empty when we arrived shortly after opening, but about 45 minutes later when we had our fill of flowers, it was becoming much busier.

Space shuttle outside the offices of Dubailand

Back at the Fairmont, we spent a few hours relaxing on the beach, which was rather crowded, and had lunch poolside to burn the last of our expiring dining certificates. Unfortunately time didn’t stand still and before we knew it, it was time to clean up and be ready for our Safari pickup at 15:00. A few phone calls and 75 minutes later our driver arrived. He hardly spoke a word as we drove back toward Burj Khalifa to pick up the 3rd of three groups joining us tonight.

That February sun sure is strong

50 AED Heineken on the beach

Looking back toward the Marina District

Often a 1:1 lifeguard to swimmer ratio

Falafel burger cross section

Since we were nearly 90 minutes behind schedule, the sun had nearly set by the time we reach the camp about an hour outside the city. Along the way we passed countless busses transporting immigrant workers home for the night.

Burj al Arab along the ride

Dubai skyline on the drive to the desert

The point where desert overtakes road

With minimal daylight remaining our driver deflated our tires and cautiously drove across the dunes so that even a newspaper would remain on the hood of the Toyota Land Cruiser for the 15-minute duration of the ride. I had expected my mother to become uncomfortable form the drive but even she agreed the driving was no worse than typical street driving.

Off road terrain

Photo pit stop

Spinning tires

He dropped us off at the ‘camp’ with the other safari participants and my mom excitedly enjoyed her first camel ride. Her expressions on ‘takeoff’ and ‘landing’ were priceless, although the ride lasted less than 90 seconds around the sand parking lot. Once inside we tried to find some tea to warm up but of course they were out, so we settled under the shelter where our fellow tourists suggested we try their Shisha. Surprisingly my mom tried it, but there wasn’t much of a flavor to enjoy.

Camelback riding

Dining shelter

Stage seating

Pre-dinner shisha

Eventually the dinner show began with some authentic belly dancing and other stage performances. The response from the announcement of dinner being served was what I would expect to see if you yelled bomb on the Tube during rush hour. Men and women were served from individual lines and there were no bowls or spoons for the soup, but otherwise it was what you would expect from an Arabic version of a luau. Finally we met our driver outside and journeyed home. After dropping off the first couple he explained they had not been prepared and caused the unacceptable delay in our pickup. It explained his visible frustration throughout the trip and his attitude turned from night to day once they were out of the car. He had moved from Pakistan many years ago and seemed to be doing very well in Dubai. I was happy our experience ended on a good note before being dropped off back at The Palm, but felt he should have skipped those passengers after 15 minutes to avoid sabotaging our experience. Oh well, at least I didn’t have high hopes in the first place.

Belly dancer

At least they fed us

Best part of the night; the female version wasn't as visually descriptive

Back in our room we packed up and I distributed portions of my Iranian treats for my mom to take home for family. Once complete I headed off to sleep before our 05:00 chauffeur was scheduled to arrive, beginning the long, but memorable, journey home.

Last edited by rivlinm; Apr 3, 2015 at 5:07 pm