FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Understanding GUF2
View Single Post
Old Apr 2, 2015, 4:42 pm
golfmad
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by CC.MM.London
First of all, hello everyone.

This is my first post but I have been following this forum for a while now. My question is on using a GUF2 voucher in a situation that is not straightforward, so apologies for the rather lengthy post. I have been trying with BA directly and with my usual TA (the one my company uses), but after multiple attempts I have gotten nowhere.

I booked a return flight to SEA, originating from the Continent and via LHR (not an ex-EU itinerary as we will be on the Continent and need to go back there at the end). Outbound on 30 May, inbound 9 June. The booking is in CE + CW, all on BA flights, purchased directly from BA during the January sale. It includes my wife, my daughter and myself. I would like to use my GUF2 to upgrade the transatlantic flights to F. I am aware that – if I can use the voucher – it will only be for two of the passengers, but I am happy to upgrade the third one with cash as I won’t get to 3,500 TP and the next vouchers in time.

Having read through various threads, I would think that I need to first split the booking in a 2 + 1 combination, then upgrade the couple using the GUF2 (using a TA) and at the same time upgrade the third passenger with cash. I don’t know for sure whether there is availability in the A fare bucket, however it does seem that the flights show plenty of availability in First.

I have been trying to explain what I want to do to my TA several times, I even provided them with the page from the BA trade website with the detailed instructions on how to use the voucher, but no luck so far. Their answer is: “You bought your ticket with BA directly, and we can’t do anything with it”. I also called BA several times and – as one would expect – got an equally unhelpful answer: “You can only use the voucher with award availability, and there is none at the moment, please try nearer the date of your flights and maybe something opens up”.

Now, I think that many posts I read here contradict what the TA (and BA) say – however, before I embark in the process of splitting the booking and then looking for a more helpful / more experienced TA, I would love to take advantage of the wisdom of the members here.

Is my idea going to end up nowhere, and am I missing something? Does anyone have a different suggestion on how to approach this?

Many thanks

Hello CC.MM.London, welcome to FlyerTalk and to the BA board.

I'm afraid I think your idea is going to end up nowhere unless:

1. F redemption availability becomes available for all 3 passengers - in which case you can use the GUF2 and additional Avios to upgrade all of you or;

2. You cancel your booking, rebook with your Travel Agent using the GUF2 if 'A' class is available and paying for an F ticket for the 3rd person. You can only apply the GUF2 with a Travel Agent when making the booking. Not afterwards.

I think option 1 is reasonably unlikely but not impossible. Option 2 is probably not going to be financially sensible given that you purchased the current booking in the sale that has now ended.