FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Supreme Leaders, Sheikhs and Sultans; Three weeks across Iran, UAE and Oman.(EY/EK F)
Old Apr 1, 2015, 7:49 pm
rivlinm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
Dubai, UAE: Day 2

Although the wind was easing, it was still very cool (for Dubai) with moderate gusts when we woke up for our first full day. We had a 12:00 visit scheduled for the 124th floor of Burj Khalifa so we were not in a rush to get to Dubai Mall for our aerial view of the desert.

Breakfast overlooking the Persian Gulf

Panorama from the balcony

The view below

Marina District

We made our way downstairs and explored the Fairmont’s beach facilities along the southwest trunk of The Palm Jumeirah. Its waters are stagnant since the outer fonds reduce the flow of the Persian Gulf from crashing the shore. This also creates a risk for jellyfish, but more so in the summer.

One of many pools

Ping pong on the beach

One of three buildings that make up the Fairmont

Caution!

The Fairmont offers a shuttle between the palm and a few popular destinations along Sheikh Zayed Road so we boarded and headed off for Dubai Mall. Twenty minutes later we were in one of Dubai’s two mega malls. This particular one sits in the shadow (although a building across town can likely claim the same) of the World’s tallest building; Burj Khalifa. Its 1,200 shops make it the largest mall by area in the World. Fitting. Opened in 2008 it is recognized for its Aquarium and Ice Rink. The mall is also home to the Dubai Dinosaur, a full size diplodocid, found in Wyoming in 2008.

Fairmont shuttle

Burj Khalifa in the distance

Dubai Mall

Burj Khalifa with a semi-blue sky

Aquarium entrance

Shark Tank

Dubai Ice Rink

Dubai Dino

We browsed a handful of stores, including the World’s largest confectionary store, and experienced some authentic Middle Eastern restaurants. Not particularly hungry, but knowing we wouldn’t eat for a while I convinced my mom to try some Persian food from the food court. She really enjoyed the ghormeh sabzi, particularly the naan.

Fashion Avenue atrium…

…full of butterflies

What’s a mall without a waterfall?

Same merchandise as any souk, 5x the price!

Authentic Middle Eastern cuisine

Copyright infringement of Iran’s Kentucky House

I’m addicted

Ghormeh sabzi

With just 15 minutes until our Burj Khalifa entrance time we bolted across the mall to queue up for our one-minute ride to the top. I had booked this time slot about a month out and when we arrived there was only one more time slot the rest of the day with tickets available for the non-inflated price. We had to wait approximately 15 minutes before boarding.

The queue

The most anticipated elevator ride ever

So much for pushing all the buttons when I got out

Burj Khalifa, originally known as Burj Dubai, is the World’s tallest manmade structure at 829.8 meters (2,722 feet). Its nearly 6 years of construction concluded with an opening ceremony in January 2010. The building is home to the Armani Hotel, corporate offices and residences.

I selected a 12:00 arrival knowing it would take some time to reach the top and I wanted to enjoy the desert views before the 13:00 fountain show. There was also another fountain show at 13:30 I hoped to be down on the ground to enjoy as well. The 124th floor (of 160) is the primary observation deck, although for quite a bit more money you can visit the World’s highest observation deck on the 148th floor. We spent about 45 minutes taking photos and just looking out across Dubai. The clouds had cleared up considerably from the previous day’s dust storm and we could vaguely make out the Burj al Arab. The Palm Jumeirah was beyond our sightline. They did offer a pretty cool AR digital telescope. You pointed it in your desired direction and could select between live, day, night and historic views. Just before the fountain show was about to begin we found a nice vantage point and enjoyed the show. As much as you can from 124 floors above at least. Wanting to see the next show at 13:30 we waited about 5 minutes for the next elevator and scurried outside to see the show from below. Mostly underwhelming in my opinion.

Proof

At the top…

Well almost the top

Partially open observation deck

Looking north

Persian Gulf

Desert roads

Dubai Mall

Dubai Mall and Dubai Fountain

Burj al Arab

Free augmented reality telescope

Fountains in action

Fountains from down low

Burj Khalifa

Dubai Fountain and Burj Khalifa

After the water show, my mom filled her Timbits craving (second of the trip) and we began the lengthy walk through the mall across the highway to the Dubai Metro and across the creek to the old city. As expected, the metro is very modern and clean. It offers a private cabin for women and children along with an exclusive gold class cabin, which I suspect would allow a bit more personal space during rush hour. Plus it’s near the exits to minimize walking. We emerged on the other side of Dubai Creek at Ras station and walked along the water toward the Deira Souq. It seemed to be your typical souq and we breezed right through with no damage to the wallet nor bother from the store owners. I felt like I was right back in Iran with sights like Bank Melli, the Aseman Air Office and a variety of other Iranian establishments.

Tim Hortons

A marathon to the metro

Getting closer

Burj Khalifa from across Sheikh Zayed Road

Metro terminal

Metro car

Gold class

Onboard

Deira Souq

Inside; not very bustling

Siesta

Windcatchers

Feeling right at home

One of many Iranian business

Ready to see the west side of the creek we took the one AED boat ride across. I was seated next to two friendly Afghans and it actually began to drizzle so right away we took cover in the Textile Souq where my mom perfected her bartering skills for a scarf. I think both parties were pleased with the results. Along the walk back to the metro we poked our head in the Dubai Museum, but decided against going further. I had hoped to try camel meat while in UAE and a small restaurant offered camel burgers and camel-milk milk shakes. The shake was rather runny and tasteless and I don’t think I noticed all that much of a difference with the meat. Maybe it was a tad grittier? Back on the metro we rode until the Mall of the Emirates.

Ready to cross Dubai Creek

Boarding and paying 1 AED fare

Banks along the creek

Returning for more passengers

Arrival after 10 minutes

Textile souq

Happy buyer and sellers

Dubai Museum

Camel-milk milk shake

Camel-meat burger

The Mall of the Emirates is a few years older (2005) than Dubai Mall but is renowned for its most unique attraction, Ski Dubai. The 5 indoor slopes are the primary reason for our stop at yet another mega mall while on vacation. I had considered skiing and even brought a hat and gloves for that reason, but for the second time this trip, passed on an opportunity to ski in the Middle East. The other being a day trip to the Alborz mountains north of Tehran. We watched a penguin show from inside the mall and made our way to the taxi stand by way of a grocery store which was incredible in size and its offerings.

Mall of the Emirates

Penguin show at Ski Dubai

Kid’s zone of Ski Dubai

Move over Easter Bunny

Ski Dubai, temperature below freezing

Belt lift up, inflatable ball down

Chinese New Year celebration

Literally the tail end of the celebration

Massive Carrefour (HyperMarket)

A quick 10-minute taxi back to the Fairmont and we were all set for our eating extravaganza at Frevo, a Brazilian Steakhouse with 18 items on the grill. At 295 AED it certainly wasn’t cheap, but with a collection of dining certificates we left with not only a full belly, but also full wallet. The quantity of wasted food at the end of the night is slightly disturbing. Their printed menu didn’t exactly match the items on offer, but we had tried 17 different items before waving the white napkin. Appropriately, most popular in Brazil, my favorite was the Picanha. Sick to my stomach, we called it a night after a long day exploring Dubai.

Frevo salad bar

Salad bar selections

The beer chicken wings never seemed to make it around

Proof of the 17 sampled, you can see which ones were not enjoyable

Dessert

Not quite

Last edited by rivlinm; Apr 3, 2015 at 5:06 pm