FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is Horizon Airlines safe?
View Single Post
Old Mar 24, 2015, 2:59 pm
dave1013

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by orbit82
I have to fly on Friday from Oakland to Portland on Horizon Air, which is part of Alaska. Both my flights are on old propeller planes! I've never flown in a propeller plane before and I've never flown Alaska before. Now I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this airline and plane? I think its the Dash or something. Sounds dangerous and old fashioned. Also to make matters worse that plane crash today is not helping my nerves. I mean...that was a big jet that crashed for no reason with experienced pilots, for an airline that was safe. I'm starting to get super nervous. I heard they put the least experienced/training pilots on the regionals and propeller planes.
I find it hard to divine the nexus between an A320 crashing over the French Alps and having the same tragic event happen on a QX turboprop. There is a reason the big jet crashed - investigators have yet to get to the bottom of it. But they will.

The QX pilots are held to the same standards as those who fly jet aircraft. Their training is just as rigorous and they are just as proficient.

You appear to have survived your trip to CPH back in '08 (presuming you took it). Why worry about a relatively short flight on a modern and safe turboprop? They serve free wine and beer, have your choice and enjoy the trip!