FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Portland, ME - Where to eat?
View Single Post
Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:45 am
PWMTrav

Originally Posted by off2rome
Thanks! I liked the look of the menu at 555 is that still good??
I thought it was good but not great the last time we went (maybe 2 months ago). Petite Jacqueline has the same owners and exec chef, and I think it's a better restaurant if I were to pick one of the two.

If you were interested in the tasting menu at 555, Hugo's is a better option on all 3 fronts - food, wine and service. If the a la carte menu was more interesting to you, PJ would be my recommendation if you're not wanting to chance Eventide or Central Provisions.

I don't mean to come off as 555 being a bad restaurant. It's not bad, it's just that there is so much competition in that space and they end up being kind of average for Portland in their segment. I can name a lot of places where it'd be a really good restaurant. IMHO, they need to drop the tasting menus and focus more on the seasonal menu. My wife and I last visited and did two different tasting menus, and both of us liked it enough, but for $300 (with drinks/wine pairings), we agreed there were better options. You've really got to justify $150pp in this city, there's just too much talent.

Just curious, are your dates firmed up?