FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A Trip To DR Congo & Rwanda
View Single Post
Old Mar 24, 2015, 3:09 am
DanielW

Originally Posted by Calchas
Fantastic report as usual

Great photos

Where next?
Thanks, Calchas, next trip is to Lebanon, got a cheap $180 fare with flydubai.

Originally Posted by Bretteee
Fantastic.

Is it safe now to go to Congo instead of to Rwanda for gorilla spotting?

Was it very hot?

Was the walk difficult?

I am older than you.

For the Permit I assume you had to pay cash?

I don't recall. What Travel Agency in Kigali did you prepay your trip with?

It worries me if I have no clue who to book with.
Thank you, Bretteee. Depends on your safety threshold I guess but I felt fine in DRC. Probably not as safe as Rwanda though.

It wasn't too hot, maximum was ~30C anyway. Night time was cooler. The trekking wasn't too bad. The rangers set a slow, steady pace and we had plenty of stops so was never really totally knackered.

I paid a lump sum for my trip, which included the permits etc. This is the company: http://amahoro-tours.com/

Originally Posted by farbster
Excellent TR as usual. Thanks for taking the time to visit and share with the rest of us
Many thanks, farbster. Just got another TR in the works now so will share it soon.

Originally Posted by JenGal
I always enjoy your wonderful reports! I'll echo others that those volcano pics are stunning!

I lived in the Congo when it was Zaire for a couple years (1989-1991) - w/ US Peace Corps if you are familiar with them. We were the last volunteers ever in zaire and were pulled out, never to return, when things began to be too unstable. I hope to return someday to where I worked (fish farming) but am unsure what I would find. ... I was at a remote village quite a ways southeast of Kikwit.

Anyway, i love reading about folks who do venture there and the pics show life goes on as always! I also visited the mountain gorillas in late 1989 when I was doing language training in Bukavu. It was pure joy. I'm not sure how much we paid, or if our group received a discount, but I was a poor kid just out of college and sure didn't have much $ laying around.

Thanks for sharing.
Thank you, JenGal. Zaire/DRC must have been an adventurous place to volunteer, must have been very rewarding too. I'm guessing the gorilla trekking wasn't quite as expensive as it is now too.

Originally Posted by angeloedades
DanielW,

You have the best trip reports. I particularly love the second picture of the lava pool. Its deadly but the colours draw you in. I wonder what it felt like watching the pool in person.
Thanks, angeloedades. Yes, the crater & lava pool were very mesmorising. I have only ever seen lava/magma on tv before, so was very enchanting to watch. The scale and size of the crater too (~1 kilometre or 3000ft across) made it all the more magnificent.

Originally Posted by deovrat
I had literally countless "Oh My God" moments while watching your pictures.
I probably said it in one of your earlier reports and I will say it again - You sir, are a legend.

And those pictures of lava...I was mesmerized and spent like half an hour re-reading your report again. Truly living vicariously through you. Can't thank you enough
Many thanks, deovrat. I had mediocre expectations before the volcano trek, but was literally awed and amazed when we reached the summit and peered over the crater edge and got a peak of what hell looks like up close!