FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How does lapchild in UA lie flat seats work out?
Old Mar 23, 2015, 7:46 am
euslaner

Programs: UA MP 1K
Originally Posted by tluehr1
I'm planning a trip with my wife and will be 18 month old baby from IAH to SFO in May 2015. This will be our baby's first flight and I would like it to be a memorable one and offer them both a chance to fly on a Dreamliner 787-8.

Our baby is a bit on the bigger side so we were first thinking about getting her a separate seat and abandoning the lap child free charge. Then we thought about potentially using miles to fly first class and experience the lie-flats. Does anyone have any experience with these seats in terms of having a lap child? Would it be a bad idea, good idea, or save the miles and just sit in economy plus with a separate seat for our baby? I think at the end of the day I want to get them on a Dreamliner no matter what class we book with.
As someone who traveled with a one year old many years ago I can assure you that your baby will not remember anything about the flight or where you sit (we sat in Y and I spent much of the flight walking our son up and down the aisle so that he didn't scream and disturb other passengers--a "trick" that worked very well). Spare yourself any expense of money and/or miles. 24 years later our son doesn't remember the trip across the pond to meet his grandmother and other relatives in the UK much less anything about the flight.