FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases
Old Mar 19, 2015, 1:51 pm
ronnyk

Originally Posted by tuphat
You're correct on the dollar value, but your "3% return" needs work. Return on what? You're not investing anything, except your time. You can deduct additional costs if you want, for MO purchases, etc. But ultimately your "percentage" return is infinite/meaningless, it's really dollars or dollars per hour.
I don't completely disagree with your point. It's 3% return on dollars spent for GCs. Not a completely useful number, but it allows one to compare the return when comparing with using the same CC to, for instance, purchase AGCs through a portal. Time ends up being approximate at best because I never know exactly how long it is going to take to liquidate, based on traffic, the line at the WM MC, whether the MO machine is working, etc., but if I assume the time to liquidate is going to be the same no matter where I get my GCs, the amount I am making depending on how many I am buying becomes a more useful metric.