FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AC increases YYC-LHR, decreases YEG-LHR for S15
Old Mar 19, 2015, 11:27 am
yulred

Originally Posted by Dorian
When is an airport, citizens and a city NOT worse off when a carrier cuts back or pulls out entirely?

It is a service reduction, less local dollars being pumped in, fewer jobs and often higher airfares due to reduced competition. It also hurts business as freight services are reduced and shipment times increased. Imagine the freight difference between YEGREK and YEGLHR?!

I have no idea what you are arguing as it is illogical.
My writing skills are terrible. I was merely pointing out that you felt that YEG was worse off not because of the reasons you've mentioned here, but on account of AC's superior J, which could gain traction on the back of ex-YVR's avoiding AC's product from there.

That aside, I never suggested YEG was better off. Only that with FI in the market, it's no worse off than before, even in terms of all of the reasons listed above.

YOWs experience with FRA leads me to believe YEG would have become seasonal anyway. At least there's FI to turn to now.

On competition, the argument would carry more weight if AC hadn't cut and run at the sight of a sub par second tier competitor entering. Suffice it to say, YEG is undoubtedly better off now in terms of competitive effects, than it was under AC only conditions.

As for freight, I don't see how a 3 weekly to LHR is better than a 4 or 5 weekly through KEF, but I m sure the cargo carriers operating to YEG can pick up the cargo instead.