FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [PREM FARE GONE] AA DCA-PEK sub-$450 a/i rt in J
Old Mar 19, 2015, 12:22 am
sbrower
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by iahphx
No consideration is necessary. In its infinite wisdom, the DOT has determined that airline passengers should be guaranteed their seats at the quoted price for 24 hours after booking. The airlines are given options on how to insure this provision. Most provide free 24-hour cancellations; AA provides free 24-hour holds.

This is significantly more protection than you get buying from Amazon, or almost any other online transaction. But the government requires it. You and I may both think the law should be different (I certainly do!), but it is what it is. And it's clear what it is.
One of us will be wrong when this is over, but I am willing to go out on my own limb and say that you are simply misinterpreting the rule. There are TWO rules at work here. One says that the airline, for the convenience of the customer, must either offer 24 hour hold or 24 hour right to cancel. A DIFFERNT rule says that if you PAY for a ticket the airline can't change the price (except that there are exceptions made, even by the DOT, where the payment is so ridiculous that it will undermine the purpose of the rule).