FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Park Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Mar 17, 2015, 7:23 pm
chad75

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
My recent 5 night stay was certainly marred by one staff member. I had my car with me and for the bulk of my stay my car was left in the driveway, not parked away underground. So a minor annoyance, but nothing worth raising with the hotel.

However late one overcast morning I asked for my car which again was sitting out in the open, except this time the sunroof had been left open. (Note I did point out the open sunroof when I originally dropped off the car) I may have been overly fussy but I don't think it is acceptable to leave a car parked outside in the driveway for 20+ hours with the sunroof not closed. Of course there is the risk of rain, but also bird crap etc.

I've been raised with the (somewhat 60's value) that showing emotion in public is a sign of weakness, so when I raised the issue with the staff member in question - I was certainly not angry (nor friendly) just used a standard neutral/indifferent tone.

In turn I was treated in a rude, angry and dismissive manner - the leaving statement from the guy in question was "I don't think it rained last night - so what's the issue".

After talking to a few friends about it after lunch - decided to raise the issue with management . Mentioned to the Front Officer Manager that I wasn't overly happy with the action (not looking after my car) but no damage occurred so no big deal but I was very disappointed by the attitude given to me. After talking to the manager for a few minutes the staff member in question actually came storming over and interrupted what should have been a private conversation. Maybe I'm a delicate flower - but I was actually taken aback but the abrasive tone he took with the Manager.

Upon checking out the next day was met by the front office manager who said he had talked to the staff member about it.

Also filled in the post stay survey and gave a service rating of 4 or 5 (I did want to give a 1 or 0, but that seemed childish and petulant) and got a message from the GM assuring me that they have spoken to the staff member about maintaining the "Hyatt Touch".

So I'm sure future interactions with the staff member in question won't be uncomfortable .