FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Club vs. Priority Pass
View Single Post
Old Mar 17, 2015, 8:00 am
busyroadwarrior

Programs: UA GS 2MM, United Club, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by RockyMntFlyer
Did some searching and found a variety of older threads, but nothing that specifically helped.

I am MP Plat (*G) and a United Club member (paid, not through the Chase card). I have had my UC membership for many years. I fly domestically for work often (few times a month) and internationally (a few times a year). Work trips are always booked in coach.

For fun, I fly domestically and internationally. Lots of small weekend trips and a couple big international trips each year. I try to fly at least business (paid) for fun (assuming its not insanely expensive).

My United Club renewal is coming up and I am debating if Priority Pass would be better. Domestically, I fly on UA 90% of the time. I believe the Priority Pass Prestige Membership would give me access to most United Clubs (including my home airport DEN). I would have the added flexibility to access other Priority Pass clubs when traveling on other airlines or when they are convenient.

I find the convenience (and customer service desks) of the UCs good, but lacking in drinks, food, atmosphere, maintenance, etc. Some additional club choice would be nice. The UC membership is more expensive than the PP, but PP has a guest fee. However, most of my work travel, I am alone. So, I am not sure this would be that big of an issue. I guess I am willing to pay for guests for the few times I am with others.

Are there other comparison points I'm missing? I don't know that much about Priority Pass, but really considering giving it a try. Any thoughts would be appreciated from those with experience with UC membership and paid Priority Pass Prestige Membership (not the amex PP version).

Thanks!
I have both, I get the UC card free with my United Presidential Plus card, frankly I find I can get into most SA affiliated clubs around the world with it, although I think that is more the *G status of my Global Service level than the UC card itself. Of course, I get into United Clubs too.

I get the PP card free with my Platinum Amex card, which I believe has all of the same access to PP clubs as a regular PP card except you cannot take a guest in without paying. On saying that, I have only had need to use it once and that was in India at a PP club where they let me take a guest in for free as well. The nice thing with the PP card was that I did not need to be flying a specific airline, being a PP club itself, I just showed my card and walked in.