FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - London: Oyster and Contactless Card FAQ
View Single Post
Old Mar 16, 2015, 1:14 pm
stifle
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by rcspeirs
@stifle. Can we clarify your post. What I think you mean is that there will no longer be the option of using a manned ticket window. It will still be possible to top up at tube stations, but you must use the ticket machines (which won't work for those who's bank card is not chip / pin).
I mean exactly what I wrote. All ticket windows on London Underground stations will permanently close this year. Ticket machines will still be available and their settings have not changed, so if your card worked there before it will still work in the future.

Chip and PIN becomes mandatory in the USA from October 2015 so using the machines should not be an issue, but for those customers not in a position to use machines there is still the option of topping up with cash at Ticket Vending Machines or using a card at London Travel Centres which will be available at major stations frequented by tourists including Heathrow Terminals 123, Euston, Victoria, Liverpool Street, St. Pancras, and Gatwick Airport, as well as at the Heathrow Express ticket office at Heathrow Terminal 5 and the DLR ticket office at London City Airport. Additionally, some local Oyster Ticket Stops accept card payments.