FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The dumbest travel-related mistake you ever made?
Old Mar 16, 2015, 4:56 am
gmark1

Checked into a hotel in the Philippines, but my room was not available, so they temporarily put me in a family room on the 7th floor, until my room was available. Had to go out several times, and got used to going to the 7 th floor. That evening, they moved me to my 6th floor room. Went downstairs, then unthinkingly went back to the 7th floor, went out of the elevator, and realized what I had done. No problem. Just take the stairs down a flight, so jump on the stairs to go down, door shuts, and then I realize I stepped into some type of emergency exit only stairwell, and locked myself out of the hotel. Well, nothing to do but go down, and find out where it goes. Go out of the stairwell to find myself standing in the gated off electrical plant for the hotel, with no one around. Hmmm, now what? Was embarrassed to think I might have to call the front desk for someone to come try to find me. Started walking, went around the corner, and see another gate with a padlock on it. Thank heavens, its unlocked. Go through the gate, to find myself at the side of the hotel, looking at a very astonished employee, with his mouth now hanging open looking at me. Laughingly, I mentioned to him what happened, and kept walking. Doorman sure was confused when I walked back in the hotel for the second time, over the period of just a couple of minutes. Too embarrassed to even tell the wife just what I had done.