FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Mar 14, 2015, 6:53 pm
uds0

Programs: Delta + United Airmiles
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
If UNFCU has no online PIN support at all, and Wal Mart terminals are online, then where does a PIN request for any purchase, no matter how small, come in?

My card arrived today, and is activated, but their customer service staff for requesting the PIN itself is closed for the weekend. Absolutely NO mention of a PIN whatsoever in the paperwork.
An online terminal may (should?) be able to use the offline pin on the card (which can also be used with offline terminals). The online terminal could request the card to validate the offline pin on it against the pin entered, or perhaps get the pin from the card to validate the transaction, or ignore the pin on the card since it's online and able to verify the pin with the card processor.

Typically a separate mail piece will have the initial pin code. You may even have a challenge getting or replacing the pin from CS without that mailed pin.

Some issuers (Andrews?!?) ONLY mail the pin reminder to the home address if the cardholder requests a reminder, and won't change the pin without the cardholder providing the current pin. And DUH, what if the cardholder is traveling with no access to the home address mail? Hopefully UN FCU isn't that difficult with lost pins while traveling. Best to have a trusted mail handler available by phone if needed.

UPDATE: https://www.andrewsfcu.org/credit_ca...resources.html
documents how to change the pin for Andrews. Worth noting is that that same article tells you to use the mag strip in the US rather than benefit from using the chip dip!

Apparently, one of my other cards is the one that doesn't allow pin reset except via mail to registered address. My apologies to Andrews.

Last edited by uds0; Mar 15, 2015 at 10:54 am Reason: Andrews DOES support pin change (via phone)