FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Mar 14, 2015, 5:11 pm
tmiw
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by uds0
Signature transactions will never be "similarly good results" compared to more secure and quicker pin transactions. Like here in the US, but a bigger hassle and time waster and generating annoyance by the merchants and other held up customers about the signature signing tourists abroad, signature transactions are and will always be inferior to using pins.

Currently, either ya get no FTF signature priority with offline support with Barclay Arrival+, Andrews, and a few other government/armed services servicing FCUs, or ya get offline pin priority only at UN FCU (with AF?) and 1% ISA, or only online pin priority with no AF or FTF at First Tech.

I predict more pin priority once the public finally understands the value of pin over signature in security and speed. Aren't pins needed for at least high dollar NFC transactions anyway?

Let's all continue to be vocal about this to get pin priority in place sooner.
My main point was that declines would probably have been prevented if offline PIN was somewhere on the card. Having it be first just improves convenience and security but for the purposes of international travel is not strictly necessary for most people.

Also I remember seeing a page a while back where Italian debit cards had offline PIN at the ATM. I could have been remembering wrong though.

Originally Posted by uds0
OT: you folks who get posts on your smart phones, do you get them pretty quick after posts occur?

I ask because often I see simple visual improvements, stupid typos, or unclear statements that I try to correct quickly without using preview and thus may cause multiple [slightly improved] copies of a post to be issued in rapid succession.
I use the full site on my phone because the mobile site never really works right for me. And I use email notifications too so I see posts right away.