FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which Fairmont hotels are real luxury properties ?
Old Mar 14, 2015, 5:03 pm
will5404

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Also, some Fairmont may not be as "real luxury" as other but may offer great value at certain time of the year because of their situation. Think Banff in summer or Whistler in winter. Certainly not as luxurious as the Plaza for example, but I would chose Banff before the Plaza at any time.
But if "real luxury hotel" is all you want, I would suggest to look at the Fairmont outside the US / Canada.
The service I've received at the Banff Springs has been pretty close to luxury standard, e.g. my friend and I arrived after biking from Jasper. We were a bit ahead of check in time, so they offered a regular room so we could get changed and have a shower and arranged to get us on the hotel tour the day we arrived.

Also at least in Canada, the railroads built the properties fairly large (many times they were the first major hotel built in the city). It be pretty hard to run an 400+ room property as a luxury hotel. That's part of the reason they came up with Fairmont Gold I imagine.