FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Mar 14, 2015, 5:50 am
JEFFJAGUAR

Maybe, I'm the only voice of reason here. Don't you guys get it yet. We can complain from now until the chickens come home to roost, it's all over as to what is going to happen in the USA. The die has been cast. The USA is going to be, at least for the time being, chip and signature almost entirely; that is for those merchants who will be convinced it is in their best interests to begin processing emv cards. Period. Scream all we want, it isn't going to change.

As far as well we might have trouble in (fill in whatever country you want) if we don't have a "true" chip and pin card, go out and get the UNFCU card and carry it qround in your pocket just in case. Yes I know it has a 1% ftf and its rewards programme sucks but hopefully it will stay in your wallet only available for the odd time you need it. At least it isn't a 3% ftf.

In all due respect, do you guys lay (or is it lie) awake at night worrying that your card account lacking a pin will be more likely to be compromised? Not worth it. As I've said before, either you use the card once a month only for "large" purchases as some so called genius travel writers have suggested or you use them for the purpose for which they were intended i.e. for every last purchase large or small and to make purchases online and to make hotel reservations and... The more you use the card, the greater the likelihood it will be compromised. And yes I get it. It can be a pain to have to change the numbers of your automatic billers. Happened to me twice last year.

The bottom line remains. This whole thread started close to 700 pages ago because there were next to no emv compliant cards available and it looked like especially in Europe but other places in the world were heading for no pin no purchase. Hasn't happened and apparently at the strong urging of visa it isn't going to happen that way. Obviously signatures are worthless for security purposes and pins would be preferable. But it just isn't going to happen for whatever the reason.

Is it worth it to continue to whine about it? And again I don't mean to come across nasty or contrary minded to anybody. It is what it is and it ins't going to be anything that isn't no matter how much we complain.

Last edited by JEFFJAGUAR; Mar 14, 2015 at 5:57 am