FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Mar 13, 2015, 8:53 pm
lordsutch

Originally Posted by uds0
Since Capital One has NO chip cards yet and I am unaware of any time line to implement them, I am wondering how their takeover of HSBC US credit cards might affect that business.
As it happens, I just got the replacement Platinum Mastercard in the mail a few weeks ago to replace my former HSBC-issued Discover card, and it's chip-and-sig. The brochure included this URL, which would seem to answer the question of CapOne's timeline: http://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/chip-cards/

3. When will Capital One have chip cards?

We are beginning to issue chip cards now and expect to include the chip on most of our cards by the end of 2015. If you currently have a Capital One credit card, continue using it until you receive your new chip card.
Elsewhere on the rollout front, I also received a replacement Chase Slate VISA card in the past couple of weeks, and it's chip-and-sig w/o PIN. It's the first one I've gotten so far with a giant European-style 8-contact EMV chip instead of a 6-contact one.