FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Mar 13, 2015, 8:06 pm
tmiw
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by uds0
To add uncertainty, I found this:

http://www.mybanktracker.com/news/20...-credit-cards/

Since Capital One has NO chip cards yet and I am unaware of any time line to implement them, I am wondering how their takeover of HSBC US credit cards might affect that business. My initial call to HSBC (required to even apply for a card) had 20 minute hold with a likely offshore rep with a thick Indian accent. Doesn't Capital One use offshore too? That rep confirmed that a chip enabled terminal will prioritize asking for a pin over signature. The 2nd "survey" call was also on hold about 15 minutes and probably also answered by an offshore rep, fortunately much less accent. She confirmed that the pin would be asked for even if signature was available, and that the reason for the "in US signature will always be requested" language was that there was a [reasonable] assumption that the US had few chip enabled readers and thus a mag swipe would be virtually always required and result in a signature request.

Oddly, she then told me that calling the phone number listed on the web site for new apps could not be used because I wasn't a HSBC existing customer, despite it being listed under the heading "For new customer". Instead, clicking a button for a call back (return call promised within 1 business day) is required to reach the "special team" that handles new accounts. So, I posted a callback request while I try that same number in the morning for a 3rd "survey" and attempt to get a unanimous vote on pin priority and an application. I wouldn't mind getting this card for my 5 week trip in Europe departing in a few weeks so that I can report on it's actual behavior. I noticed a lot of HSBC ATMs throughout Europe, and I hope that Capital One acquiring their US assets doesn't mess with being able to use HSBC services abroad.

Really too bad that the banks provide their reps with such unreliable, or at least incomplete, training.
Doesn't Capital One's ownership of HSBC's card business not bode well for PIN priority long term? They're another card company who's very pro signature.