Old Mar 10, 15, 9:45 am
tmiw
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JEFFJAGUAR View Post
Part of the reason for their receiving the amount of flack they do is they were sort of first out the door in offering cards with emv chips and have received a great deal of credit for being an American chip and pin card from many travel writers. People then rush to get the card and then and only then find out it is not truly a chip and pin card. I remember much earlier in this thread when I was directed to the card, went through the rigor morol of applying and then only discovered it is primarily chip and signature. Then along came SDFCU. Applied there when everybody said it's chip and pin and then discovered the same thing. Not to repeat the story it took about a year before I was able to acquire a "true" chip and pin card, the USAA world mastercard and I was like a pig rolling around in you know what. Little did I know that a couple of months later, USAA would pull what it pulled. I now have all these cards which I use every so often in the hope they see the light of day (there were rumors here a couple of months ago that SDFCU would be issuing a "true" chip and pin card. So we are really at a cross roads. Either visa gets its way and the chip and signature cards become more or less universally acceptable or some more enlightened banks with half decent rewards programs, no annual fees and no ftf's start issuing "true" chip and pin cards. (Neither UNFCU nor DC meet all those criteria but I carry the UNFCU card when I travel outside the country just in case but the 1% ftf turns me off and discourages me from making it my primary card). Of course if and when more banks begin offering "true" chip and pin cards, then the next problem will be getting merchants to use chip and pin. Indications are that may be just as big of a hassle.
IMO I think it'll be the former. I will even go as far as to say that a PIN will never be used at kiosks and gas pumps in the US unless it's a debit card or a credit card with PIN priority. They'll probably set them up so that signature is equivalent to no CVM (even though they're not really supposed to) to ensure that any backup PIN's ignored.

But this is mostly a moot point. It's very unlikely the US will ever fully adopt EMV anyway until at least the end of the decade, and quite possibly long after. As unlikely as I think it is, this mythical "mobile payments" thing could end up happening after all and we could all be paying at the table with an Android or iOS app before EMV ever gets fully adopted or we switch to PIN.